- 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON, M3J 1P3view map
- (416) 736-5000
- (416) 736-5536
- Glendon Campus
- Enrolments are “Full-time Equivalent” (FTE) figures (Statistics Canada, 2005-06)
- Operating Expenditures (CAUBO, 2005-06)
- Research Grants (Tri-Council, 2006-07)
- Library Holdings (CARL, 2006-07)
- Jim Flaherty - Federal Finance Minister of Canada; Steve MacLean - astronaut; Jack Layton - NDP leader; Nino Ricci - author; Rachel McAdams - actress
What the Students Say
- Big suburban school with large commuter population
- Highly multicultural, socially progressive
- Casual, friendly atmosphere
- Many large classes, but well-liked professors
- Battles being in shadow of University of Toronto
Courses With Kudos
Business/management, Music, Fine Art, Accounting, Education, Law, Theatre Studies, francophone programs (Glendon).
Student Sound Offs
"The students are divided into different colleges depending on faculty and major. This helps build small communities were students can get involved and feel as though they have a home away from home."
"More people need to know about the Glendon campus. It is one of a kind in offering people a chance to attend a bilingual campus and learn French as they get their degree."
"The profs are great and really willing to help you, even if it's a huge lecture. Make yourself known and it will pay off."
"York's stance on education is multi-disciplinary; educators take time to cite other perspectives, ones you might not hear in a non-inter-disciplinary school."
"Compared with my previous university, the level of interaction between students and professors is very high. One can always get feedback or advice."
"The sheer volume of students admitted often leaves classes overcrowded and hinders personal learning time with instructors. It is often difficult to get into classes which are required for my degree."
"York University is terrible at providing students with one-on-one advising sessions with people in administration who can help students with enrolment, financial, and any other administrative issues. I don't know why."
"The administration is a mess! It is very difficult trying to figure out policies and rules when it comes to completing the requirements of a degree program, and different people give different answers to questions."
"York U is a commuter's school. The majority of students go to school to attend class and then leave the campus immediately. I am also guilty of this. I think if I were to stay in residence, my university life would be more active."
"There is a saying, 'if you can hold a fork, you can go to York.' This is not true because we have some of the brightest minds in the country and the classes are demanding."
Student survey results and additional indicators
For: York University
Institution size classification: Large (see the methodology)
- Latest survey update: September 2012
- Other data sources: latest available data shown
- All letter grade results are student satisfaction data
Canadian University Report - Student Survey
Search by FIELD OF STUDY
Refine your results by selecting a field of study (the default is all fields of study combined).
Pick your Field of Study
Overall Student Satisfaction
Quality of Teaching
Results for this school
Average results among schools of size: Large