University of Winnipeg [The]
- Enrolments are “Full-time Equivalent” (FTE) figures (Statistics Canada, 2005-06)
- Operating Expenditures (CAUBO, 2005-06)
- Research Grants (Tri-Council, 2006-07)
- Library Holdings (CARL, 2006-07)
- Margaret Laurence - Canadian novelist; Chantal Kreviazuk - singer/songwriter
What the Students Say
- Small classes, small campus
- Diverse, tolerant, friendly student body
- In heart of downtown; night-time safety can be an issue
- Emphasis on community outreach
- Joint programs with foreign universities for overseas studies
Courses With Kudos
Education, English, Athletic Therapy, Psychology, Kinesiology, Theatre and Film, Criminal Justice, Conflict Resolution, International Development
Student Sound Offs
"The small intimate classes provide a fantastic opportunity for in-depth discussions and fruitful interactions with the professors. I have had very inspiring relationships with many of the professors I've studied with."
"We have some of the best tuition fees in the country for a really good education. Students with moderate or low income don't have to be in thousands of dollars in debt when they graduate."
"We have an excellent aboriginal students program that offers tutoring, academic advising, and scholarships for aboriginal students. There are peer supports in place as well."
"I really enjoy the multicultural/multi-generational aspect of the U of W, combined with the intimacy that comes with a smaller university."
"The campus is downtown ... When we step outside, we see 'the streets.' You get reminded every day of the people who need your help the most, the homeless and the poor. The Ivory Tower is a little closer to the ground at UofW and that is just fine. It keeps your head screwed on."
"[There is] a joint Masters of Education with the University of Armidale in Australia. Teaching practicums in Costa Rica, Thailand, Greece, and more."
"We have a [downtown] volunteer program: the U of W Community campus ambassadors who do community policing around campus; and they work with youth centres and programs in the inner city."
"A joint engineering program with the University of Minnesota [means] science students complete a three-year degree at U of W then do two more years to get an undergrad engineering degree in Minneapolis."
"In summer it's filled with flowers, which is nice. It's a cozy place. We have many places with small sectional couches that can be put together for sleeping or for a comfortable place to study."
Student survey results and additional indicators
For: University of Winnipeg
Institution size classification: Small (see the methodology)
- Latest survey update: September 2012
- Other data sources: latest available data shown
- All letter grade results are student satisfaction data
Canadian University Report - Student Survey
Search by FIELD OF STUDY
Refine your results by selecting a field of study (the default is all fields of study combined).
Pick your Field of Study
Overall Student Satisfaction
Quality of Teaching
Results for this school
Average results among schools of size: Small