University of Ottawa
- 550 Cumberland Street, Ottawa, ON, K1N 6N5view map
- (613) 562-5700
- (877) 868-8292
- (613) 562-5323
- Saint Paul University - Université Saint-Paul
- Enrolments are “Full-time Equivalent” (FTE) figures (Statistics Canada, 2005-06)
- Operating Expenditures (CAUBO, 2005-06)
- Research Grants (Tri-Council, 2006-07)
- Library Holdings (CARL, 2006-07)
- Research Intensive
- English / French
- Carol Shields - author; Dalton McGuinty - Ontario Premier; Angela Hewittt - pianist
What the Students Say
- Bilingual institution since 1848
- Historic downtown campus
- Friendly, diverse, multicultural
- Research-oriented, especially medical sciences
- Large classes in lower years
Courses With Kudos
Medicine, Law, Political Science, Health Sciences, Criminology, Engineering, Communications, Music
Student Sound Offs
"Regardless of the language of instruction of a course, you can hand in your assignments in either language. This is probably one of the best features of the university's language policy."
"I love walking down the walkway and hearing an English conversation one way, a French one another."
"The campus is a five-minute walk from Parliament, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Canadian War Museum, the National Library and National Archives, the National Arts Centre ... There are countless opportunities to become well-connected and attend important national events."
"UofO considers itself a bilingual university, but in some programs the option of being taught in both languages stops for 3rd and 4th years and program courses are only taught in one language."
"There are two gyms, one at each end of the campus, and many classes offered such as aerobics, aqua fit, etc. There is really no reason to not get in shape; the locations are convenient, and the classes are free."
"It's a very compact, easy-to-get-around campus. It's not sprawling or cement-filled, which is great. It's in a good location, lots of housing possibilities nearby, and it has a good architectural diversity -- both new and older (prettier) buildings."
"Both languages are treated equally, and it's weird at first because there's so much French, but then you realize it's just because you're used to a predominantly Anglo environment."
"The teaching assistants are near impossible to understand ... It is absolutely necessary for TAs to speak English or French at a high level. Students must fulfill these expectations, so too should the teachers."
"I like that it is like a little city. Although it is in the heart of downtown Ottawa, there are still times that the campus can feel isolated from the city."
"Bilingualism is encouraged but not required."
Student survey results and additional indicators
For: University of Ottawa
Institution size classification: Large (see the methodology)
- Latest survey update: September 2012
- Other data sources: latest available data shown
- All letter grade results are student satisfaction data
Canadian University Report - Student Survey
Search by FIELD OF STUDY
Refine your results by selecting a field of study (the default is all fields of study combined).
Pick your Field of Study
Overall Student Satisfaction
Quality of Teaching
Results for this school
Average results among schools of size: Large