University of Manitoba
- 66 Chancellors Circle, Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2view map
- (204) 474-8880
- (800) 432-1960
- (204) 474-7536
- Université de Saint-Boniface
- Enrolments are “Full-time Equivalent” (FTE) figures (Statistics Canada, 2005-06)
- Operating Expenditures (CAUBO, 2005-06)
- Research Grants (Tri-Council, 2006-07)
- Library Holdings (CARL, 2006-07)
- Marshall McLuhan - educator, philosopher and scholar; Israel Harold (Izzy) Asper - founder of CanWest Global Communications
What the Students Say
- Friendly, multicultural diverse student body
- Free shuttle bus between campuses
- Unique "University 1" program mandatory, front loads electives
- International exchange programs
- Research-oriented school; on-campus research and technology park, Smartpark, home to 20 high-tech companies
Courses With Kudos
Engineering, Business, Medicine, Health Sciences, Agriculture
Student Sound Offs
"When it's time to work, everyone is working hard but the rest of the time, there's a very cheerful, playful feeling -- concerts and BBQs, the beer tent at the beginning of the year ... lots of things to get students to just come and hang out together."
"It is a beautiful campus full of historic buildings and lush greenery."
"Underground tunnels connecting buildings are often dark with dim lighting. Many tunnels could also use a new coat of paint."
"Most student are usually gone by 6 p.m. The university is pretty much empty. It is very much a commuter school ... it takes away from the sense of community."
"There are lots of chances to get to know people in your class and not all classes are filled with over 200 students. There are plenty of classes with less than 30 students and some even have as low as four or five students."
"Because our campus is so large, there are many outdoor sitting areas, as well as fields to play or relax in. In the winter months, the university makes an outdoor hockey rink open to all students."
"Many professors have strong accents and some have trouble speaking English clearly."
"Most of the university looks like it got decorated in the 1960s and hasn't since any updating since."
"University 1 'help rooms' provide extra help from students hired by the university who know the course material. It is very helpful for a new student to better understand the material and do the assignments."
"It is the only university in Canada that has a degree program for American Sign Language-English Interpretation (a joint program with Red River College)."
Student survey results and additional indicators
For: University of Manitoba
Institution size classification: Large (see the methodology)
- Latest survey update: September 2012
- Other data sources: latest available data shown
- All letter grade results are student satisfaction data
Canadian University Report - Student Survey
Search by FIELD OF STUDY
Refine your results by selecting a field of study (the default is all fields of study combined).
Pick your Field of Study
Overall Student Satisfaction
Quality of Teaching
Results for this school
Average results among schools of size: Large