University of Calgary [The]
- Enrolments are “Full-time Equivalent” (FTE) figures (Statistics Canada, 2005-06)
- Operating Expenditures (CAUBO, 2005-06)
- Research Grants (Tri-Council, 2006-07)
- Library Holdings (CARL, 2006-07)
- Research Intensive
- Stephen Harper - Prime Minister of Canada; James Gosling - creator of the Java programming language; Robert Thirsk - astronaut
What the Students Say
- International research reputation, especially in medicine, science
- Large classes in early years
- Large, park-like campus setting
- Can tailor your own combined degree
- Collaborative degree programs with Red Deer College, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
Courses With Kudos
Business, Engineering, Medicine, Health Sciences, Kinesiology
Student Sound Offs
"If you are interested in doing research of any kind, this is the university to go to ... You can always find someone to take you on for a research project for credit or as a summer student."
"It is a beautiful campus. When it is warm, there are people outside all over the place. It feels like a community. The campus is small enough that it can be easily navigated, but large enough to seem important ... There are tunnels and connections between almost all of the buildings, so that when the weather is trashy one never has to step foot outside in the cold/rain."
"Lots of interaction with the [city] community. As a music student, I get to study regularly with members of the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra."
"The professors are often there because they are good researchers and not good teachers. Thus, we often get stuck with professors who are brilliant but can't teach ... and often have poor English."
"I love having full access to the pool, rock-climbing wall, racquet courts, gymnasium, Olympic Oval, indoor track and gym."
"The school spirit is lacking ... A lot of it has to do with the fact that many students are Calgary residents so they have their own communities and do not relate/feel attached to the UofC."
"There is never a computer that is open no matter what time of day it is, morning, afternoon or night. You have to have your own computer or you will never get your assignments done."
"The students are very accepting and welcoming. I meet new people every day in my classes and it's easy to get to know them fairly well."
"There is no activism or sense of community other than one based around drinking or sports. The campus is very conservative generally - which makes sense since it is in Alberta."
"The Safewalk program runs 24/7 and has people to walk you anywhere on campus or nearby so you don't have to walk alone."
Student survey results and additional indicators
For: University of Calgary
Institution size classification: Large (see the methodology)
- Latest survey update: September 2012
- Other data sources: latest available data shown
- All letter grade results are student satisfaction data
Canadian University Report - Student Survey
Search by FIELD OF STUDY
Refine your results by selecting a field of study (the default is all fields of study combined).
Pick your Field of Study
Overall Student Satisfaction
Quality of Teaching
Results for this school
Average results among schools of size: Large