University of Alberta
- Enrolments are “Full-time Equivalent” (FTE) figures (Statistics Canada, 2005-06)
- Operating Expenditures (CAUBO, 2005-06)
- Research Grants (Tri-Council, 2006-07)
- Library Holdings (CARL, 2006-07)
- Research Intensive
- Writers W.O. Mitchell and Rudy Wiebe; filmmaker Anne Wheeler; Joe Clark - former Primer Minister of Canada; Peter Lougheed - former Alberta Premier; Supreme Court of Canada Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin; Richard Taylor, nobel laureate in physics; Paul Gross - actor
What the Students Say
- Cutting-edge science/tech research
- Large class sizes in first year
- Top-tier academic reputation
- Friendly and diverse
- Strong athletics programs
Courses With Kudos
Engineering, Medicine, Sciences, Law, Nanotechnology, Education, Business
Student Sound Offs
"The school just has a certain vibrancy, life and an energy about it... as someone moving here from a small town to attend school, I found it really enlivening."
"Many people feel that this is a science/engineering focused university, however I feel that other programs are taught just as well."
"Edmonton winters are long and cold, the university looks dirty and barren in the winter (it's beautiful during the summer)."
"The U of A offers so many opportunities for individuals; everything you could imagine they have a club for, everyone belongs."
"Because it's so big, I find it a bit difficult to meet new people and actually stay in touch with the ones you do meet."
"We have a very helpful online tool for choosing courses called BearScat which is much easier to use than enrolling in courses at other universities."
"The arts faculty is a contributing addition to the university atmosphere and deserves more recognition."
"Lister Hall is one of the most amazing residences in the country!"
"We have a very vibrant and diverse community of male and female fraternities on our campus that contribute a lot to the university."
"There are lots of inner passages so you do not have to walk in the freezing cold all the time."
"The Career and Placement Services is very good at offering help to students regarding career choices and supplementary skills workshops, as well as providing an extensive job posting list."
Student survey results and additional indicators
For: University of Alberta
Institution size classification: Large (see the methodology)
- Latest survey update: September 2012
- Other data sources: latest available data shown
- All letter grade results are student satisfaction data
Canadian University Report - Student Survey
Search by FIELD OF STUDY
Refine your results by selecting a field of study (the default is all fields of study combined).
Pick your Field of Study
Overall Student Satisfaction
Quality of Teaching
Results for this school
Average results among schools of size: Large