- Enrolments are “Full-time Equivalent” (FTE) figures (Statistics Canada, 2005-06)
- Operating Expenditures (CAUBO, 2005-06)
- Research Grants (Tri-Council, 2006-07)
- Library Holdings (CARL, 2006-07)
- Research Intensive
- Martin Short actor; James Orbinski and Richard Heinzl - founding members of Doctors Without Borders; Dr. Samantha Nutt - War Child Canada founder; Roger Neilson - Hockey Hall of Famer; Dalton McGuinty - premier of Ontario
What the Students Say
- International reputation for research (science, medicine)
- Emphasis on problem-based learning
- Multidisciplinary programs; wide array of classes
- Diverse, friendly, sense of community
- Large class sizes in lower years
Courses With Kudos
Medicine; Health Sciences; Kinesiology; Science; Engineering; Business
Student Sound Offs
"I enjoy that I did not have to choose a major in the first year so I could explore classes; I've now chosen a major that is completely different from what I had originally planned."
"The pedestrian-only campus makes it safe and easy to walk around. The beautiful old ivy-covered buildings are one of my favourite parts, as is the nature reserve that Mac backs onto."
"The classes that I'm in are really small (about 25 students in 2nd and 3rd year, 10 or less in 4th year), so the profs really get to know the students."
"There are some language barriers, as some TAs and profs speak with heavy accents."
"Every course is more or less problem based learning. When I applied to Mac I thought it was only the medical school that was PBL; I would have like this fact to have been highlighted more."
"Best research school in Canada. Soon to have the world's most powerful electron microscope."
"The administration at McMaster seems to be concerned only with its research standing and supporting the business, engineering and medical students. One feels that if the administration could get rid of Humanities and remain an accredited university McMaster would do so."
"The recreation and athletics program at Mac is amazing. Between varsity, intramural and recreational classes, they have every sport you can imagine. The new gym is amazing, and includes wall-climbing facilities."
"The student centre truly is the heart of the school and there is always something interesting happening there. To experience the true diversity of McMaster, that is the place to be."
"Many of the residences are much nicer than McMaster advertises. The older ones have huge bedrooms, piano rooms, tea rooms, gorgeous wood carvings and old decorative windows."
Student survey results and additional indicators
For: McMaster University
Institution size classification: Large (see the methodology)
- Latest survey update: September 2012
- Other data sources: latest available data shown
- All letter grade results are student satisfaction data
Canadian University Report - Student Survey
Search by FIELD OF STUDY
Refine your results by selecting a field of study (the default is all fields of study combined).
Pick your Field of Study
Overall Student Satisfaction
Quality of Teaching
Results for this school
Average results among schools of size: Large