- 1459 Oxford Street , Halifax, NS, B3H 4R2view map
- (902) 494-2211
- (902) 494-2319
- University of King's College
- Enrolments are “Full-time Equivalent” (FTE) figures (Statistics Canada, 2005-06)
- Operating Expenditures (CAUBO, 2005-06)
- Research Grants (Tri-Council, 2006-07)
- Library Holdings (CARL, 2006-07)
- Research Intensive
- Kathryn D. Sullivan - astronaut ; Bertha Wilson - Former Supreme Court justice; Ian Hanomansing - CBC news anchor; Elizabeth May - Green Party leader; Peter MacKay - Minister of National Defence
What the Students Say
- Friendly, relaxed, historic setting
- Wide variety of programs foster multi-disciplinary degrees
- Most programs offer co-op work terms
- Large classes in lower years
- Known for faculty research, especially in medicine and marine sciences
Courses With Kudos
Law; Health (medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacology); Science (oceanography, marine biology); Engineering; Theatre
Student Sound Offs
"We were always taught by people doing research in the field so they had the latest knowledge. The professors were always available and encouraged you to utilize them as a resource."
"Dal is like the little guy in the realm of big universities in the country, a little underappreciated, but I know I'm getting just as good an education as McGill or anywhere else."
"I love that Dalhousie is small enough to feel like a community within Halifax. The campus is very green so I don't feel like I'm in the middle of an urban jungle like Toronto or Montreal. The quad on the main campus is really nice ... if you want to sit outside and study or throw a football or Frisbee around."
"No school spirit. Half the students are rich Toronto punks who just come here to drink and study arts or commerce."
"The availability of athletic facilities and equipment is amazing. The Dalplex (sports complex) has long hours of operation and new facilities that are top-notch."
"There are some amazing professors here who, if they wanted to, could be teaching at larger institutions for more money, but choose Dal because it's a great school and Halifax is this charming bohemian gem on the East Coast."
"Since Dalhousie is a large university, there are lots of opportunities available for summer research jobs."
"The highest tuition for one of the lowest ranked undergraduate programs in Canada. Wish I'd known that before I came here."
"I like that its small enough that you can see lots of people you know, but big enough that you can see new people every day. I like the old buildings and the open spaces, I like the history of the area."
"It provides so many 'non-academic' opportunities to students -- a wide variety of clubs, and tons of opportunities to study abroad."
Student survey results and additional indicators
For: Dalhousie University
Institution size classification: Medium (see the methodology)
- Latest survey update: September 2012
- Other data sources: latest available data shown
- All letter grade results are student satisfaction data
Canadian University Report - Student Survey
Search by FIELD OF STUDY
Refine your results by selecting a field of study (the default is all fields of study combined).
Pick your Field of Study
Overall Student Satisfaction
Quality of Teaching
Results for this school
Average results among schools of size: Medium